There are several reasons your refrigerator may not be making ice. Ice maker is a widely used appliance in the house. Hot summer weather in Irving,TX demands ice maker a regularly used appliance.
If you want to try to troubleshoot the issue on your own, you are in the right place. Here, you can learn about some of the most common issues that may occur and what you should do to restore proper operation to your appliance.
The Water Fill Tubes
Take the time to inspect your ice maker mold. Are there ice cubes in it? If there aren’t any cubes or if the cubes are very small, see if there is an issue with the water fill system.
There are a few steps to take if you are inspecting the water fill tubes. These include:
- Disconnect the water and power source from your appliance.
- At the rear of the unit’s icemaker, inspect the full cup and fill tube area to ensure they aren’t frozen. If there’s a buildup of ice, make sure there aren’t any foreign objects present that have impacted the flow of water into the fill cup.
- Look at the outlet tubing coming from the fill valve to your ice maker’s fill tube for any signs of a restriction.
- If there are issues with the water fill tubes, the most effective repair is to replace them.
The Water Inlet Valve
In some refrigerators, the water inlet valves have a screen installed to filter out debris before they move into the valve. If the screen becomes plugged, the water flow is restricted. When this happens, you will notice layered or smaller than normal ice cubes. At this point, you should remove and wash the screen if there is a clog. If there is dirt in the valve, it may not be able to shut off completely, which will result in water dripping continually into the fill tube. Eventually, this is going to freeze.
Other issues that may cause problems with the water inlet valve include restriction at the main shut off valve or low water pressure in your home. The most common shut off valves that cause this issue are self-piercing saddle valves. That’s because the hole is usually too small and, as a result, will become blocked or restricted easily.
To check your refrigerator’s water inlet valve using a multi-meter, use the steps listed here:
- Disconnect the water and power going to your appliance.
- Take off the rear access panel and find the water inlet valve (usually this is located near the base of the unit).
- See if there are signs of loose connectors or leaks in the valve inlet supply. If not, look for damage or cracks in the body of the valve.
- Look at the outlet tubing for signs of cracks, abrasions, brittle tubing, or other types of damage.
- If there are no leaks, remove the water inlet valve and test it with a multi-meter. If the reading is anything besides 200 to 500 ohms, the valve will have to be replaced.
The Ice and Water Filter
If present in your unit, the ice and water filter are responsible for taking out any contaminants or debris in the water that remain after local water treatment. The majority of filters will be made of fabric and carbon. As time passes, the filter could get restricted, which will restrict the flow of water to your ice maker, which could result in very little or no ice production.
The majority of manufacturers recommend that you replace your filter every six months; however, you need to consider the water conditions in the local area, which may make it necessary for you to replace the filter more often.
The steps to inspect the ice and water filter in your refrigerator include:
- Figure out when you replaced the water filter last and if it has been too long, replace it.
- Find the water filter and the location will vary based on brand and model. If you have a filter that is in the water line, you need to turn the supply of water off before you take the filter out.
- Because there are various specifications for replacing your refrigerator, be sure to refer to the guidelines provided by the manufacturer.
If you are unable to fix the issue on your own, it’s a good idea to contact the professionals. They can inspect your refrigerator and make the necessary repairs in a timely and efficient manner. Be sure to find the right team for the job to ensure the needed repairs are made and that the issue will be resolved.
Continue reading about “How much does it cost for refrigerator repair service?“